Sweet Summer Solstice Salutations! Today marks the longest of the year with the sun shining for what seems like an eternity and serving up the most Yang of any day. Take it all in now for the next six months, each day will be getting shorter, slowly and steadily.
With the Yang-tiousness of the day getting everything a bit more worked up and active, it’s a good time to practice balance and employ some Feng Shui guides to inaugurate a beautiful transition.
Feng Shui Surfing the Yang!
Get out in the sun today! Open the windows and let the energy flow. Here at the peak of Yang and the beginning of Yin, we have a unique chance to embrace the yang and invite its strength into our home and life fully.
And as the cycle from shortest to longest day is a period of building and collecting and preparing, we now begin a cycle from longest to shortest. This is a time of letting go, releasing and tending. This is the finest moment to harness the yang energies and purge unnecessary objects, thoughts, emotions.
In fact, take moment today before sunset and write a list of things you can do without. Burn the list up tonight in a ceremonial Solstice bonfire (of sorts) and set your goal to releasing those habits, thoughts and excess clutter a little bit each day for the next 27 day.
Let the Yang Shine!
Along with opening your windows, there is no better chance to hang chimes or wind-catcher whirligigs and sun catcher prisms and crystals! And you can utilize some of these Feng Shui tips celebrate Summer:
- Move the furniture a little further apart to allow more flow. (The more empty space, the more Yang energy is invited in!)
- Re-discover your surfaces! Rotate or reduce objects on display shelves.
- Lighten up the colors and fabrics on your bed.
- Change out any throw pillows and blankets for light-weight and colored ones.
- Swap out your art! Get new photos for your frames and move art around to shift and shake up the energies.
Shift the energies of your life with these tips.
- Embrace the Yang! Get up early and watch the sunrise, it is earliest this time of year and rising with it invigorates you to not just catch the early worm but experience so much more.
- Balance the Yang! Stop at midday and rest, pause, meditate. Take a moment to allow the chaos and frenzy building through the day to dissipate. Detach and enable a balanced approach to the rest of your day.
- Honor the Yang! Watch the sunset. Solstice is a time of bonfires to celebrate the sun and whether you have a bonfire on the beach, in the field, or just light a candle on your windowsill, honor the closing of the day with a moment’s reflection in gratitude.
Yang-est just before the Yin!
The goal of Feng Shui is to live in harmony with our environment and to maintain a balance between the active and the passive energies driving our lives. This is a time of excess, of extreme, of abundance…. I say Enjoy, Embrace, Expand! And remember, drink lots of water, take lots of breaks and keep a part of yourself grounded during the excitement this change begins.
It’s midsummer…. And to celebrate, I’m off to have an Aranciata in the park!