It’s what’s on the inside that counts!
In 1992 I created a collage of images that inspired me. Immediately, things started shifting in my life that were inexplicably synched up to that collage, and the shifts continued unfolding for years. My accidental discovery of the art Vision Boarding sparked a thirst for just how it is that we can create and turn dreams into reality.
Having taught, written, and practiced Vision Boarding over the decades, I’ve learned secrets that separate successful vision boards from those that are just pretty images.
SECRET: It’s what’s behind the image that determines how fast and whether or not it will be manifest in life.
The What, the Huh?
What emotional response do you get when you look at an image on your vision board? That emotion is what sparks the mechanisms determining what you will actually manifest. The emotion you get is what’s behind which course your life will take in manifesting.
Are you clear about why you chose that image? Are you clear about what that image evokes in you? Are you tuned in enough to observe your reaction to the image and separate bling from bliss?
If your vision board is cluttered with objects of BLING or FANTASY you will take yourself on a wild ride. What do I mean by “Bling” and “Fantasy”? Any image that I do not truly believe could materialize in my life is just fluff, distracting energetic clutter that will choke out the positive potential of the things I do believe could manifest.
General vs. Specific
Aren’t most of the images I draw from to create my vision board just fantasy anyway? I mean, we’re supposed to dream big right?!
Yes … and … Esther Hicks relays the message most poignantly when she advises, “Go General!”
The Law of Attraction does not discriminate between what is good or not good for a person. If the underlying feeling I get from looking at the image is “I don’t believe it. That won’t happen because xyz…” the universe responds by bringing me the prominent feeling I have from the image – disbelief.
SECRET: the more general the image, or the less an image provokes disbelief, the more likely it will be manifest.
I can offer up two methods for creating a Vision Board that will propel you towards your envisioned life. The first is from my book, and the second is a little trick I have never shared before now.
In my book, Feng Shui Life Mapping, I present a 10-step process for clarifying what it is that you truly wish to manifest in your life, how to create a Vision Board from that clarity, and then how to Feng Shui your space to mirror that clarity and essentially have you living in a 3D Vision Board that quickly becomes your life.
Clarity is essential to creation. When we take the time to clarify what it is we want: assertaining if we believe in it, if we are willing to receive it, and willing to live it, then we are likely to bring it into our life. If we aren’t clear, we can STILL select images that promote positive feelings “around” that aspect of our life we wish to change and thereby get energy moving in a positive direction.
Secret Technique: Layer your vision board!
Layered Vision Boarding
Ok, here’s a fun new way to turn your vision board into a launch pad through layering:
- First: meditate! Do yoga, walk in the woods, do something that grounds your energy, clears your head and heart and allows you to drop into a state of OPENNESS.
- Second: Go through magazines and pull out every image that appeals to you, just rip it out and place it aside.
- Third: After 20-30 minutes, put the magazines aside and turn to the stack of images you’ve torn out. Grab scissors and trim them… as you are trimming… ask yourself what the image really evokes from you. Create two piles of images, those that inspire good feelings and those that leave you uncertain.
- Fourth: Using the images that create good feelings, create a vision board. Yes, I am big on using the Feng Shui bagua as a background guide because it allows for a “balanced” approach to your life. Go for it, have fun!
- NOTE: ideally make your vision board the same size as one page of a magazine.
- Fifth: Once you’ve created your vision board, take a snap shot of it on your camera.
- Finally: Find a full-page, powerful image that inspires general good feelings and cover the vision board you’ve just created, layering it with this top image, and hang it in front of your desk, your bed or somewhere prominent that will catch your eye.
When I layered my last vision board, I used the above picture of a Dahlia… now, every time I see the Dahlia, I secretly am watering the seeds of my vision board to make them come to life. When I want to, and am in a state of openness, I can pull up the image of my vision board on my phone.
Here’s why layering works: I created the vision board while in a state of meditation or relaxation or grounding. The images I selected clearly resonated with me and brought positive energy my way. We know this.
However, every day, as I view my vision board, I may be in a different state of emotion, grounding and feeling. I may muddy the perfectly joyous feelings I had during its creation with the cluttered energy of my day-to-day life.
If I have a simple image that is general (the flower) on top of my vision board, each time I look upon my vision board, I will imbue it with positive attention no matter what state I am in, watering the intentions I set with what Law of Attraction prescribes – general feelings of positivity!
Free Vision Board Review
If you have a vision board and would like to amplify it’s potential, I invite you to contact me for a free, 30-minute Vision Board Review. There is great power created in sharing your vision with an objective and supportive person. And I will offer to you my support. I’ll share reflections of where I see things going from your board and how you can add, tune or transform your vision board to multiple it’s power.